Monday, May 31, 2010

Felt Crafts

Yesterday, I started experimenting with my felt materials to come up with a bag I could make 30 of for my classroom. (I'm a high school math teacher and need bags for each seat containing rulers, calculators, etc.) I came up with one, and when I finished the prototype, I added a handle so my 2 year old daughter could use it as a "purse".


Being the girly girl that she is, she loved having a purse of her own. She carried it around and put a book in it. Then, she went commercial. "Backpack?" she asked. Ah, Dora... we don't even watch you, yet you still control our lives. I tried to make the purse into a backpack but the strap just wasn't long enough.

Then, I had an idea. If I make a backpack that has a little more room, she can carry her own diapers, wipes, and snacks! So, off to work I went. The "A" on the front isn't straight, but that's okay with me. In hindsight, I wish I had used fabric glue instead of stitching on the "A" because it became too busy... but over all, I like it a lot. She was pretty excited about it, but I haven't made her carry it anywhere yet.  Here is the finished product.








I don't have a tutorial for it, but if you are interested let me know. I am also considering listing them on etsy once I get the kinks worked out, so if you want something specific, contact me!

No comments: